Milk Chocolate Peanut Powder Cookies

As I mentioned last Saturday Sacrament, as part of the #MyMagazineSharing program through Kroger, I was sent 4 coupons to buy products for free at their stores and three free products to test out and share about for their #OrganicsEveryday campaign. I knew from seeing it in other stores that there are powdered peanut butters out there so I went looking for that the next shopping trip I made to Kroger. It was a bit tricky to find, it was with the peanut butters in the main section of the store and not in the organic foods aisles even though I saw other brands of peanut butter powder over in that section of the store. I did find it through sheer determination to keep looking for it. I used one of those free coupons to get a jar of Simple Truth Organic Peanut Powder in the Chocolate variety. No other form of compensation was received in exchange for writing this review.

I have never used peanut butter powder in any recipe so I did some research before tackling anything. You can substitution half of your flour with the peanut powder but the difference between the two in terms of calories is minor. But your substitution is really about the peanut butter you might put into a cookie, cake, brownie, bar, etc. One of the biggest problems I immediately saw was that the Simple Truth jar is small, only 6.5 ounces which would make buying it to sub for flour a very expensive proposition. While a few of you may have tons of money laying around, I'm betting most of our readers are looking for economical ingredients that are also healthy. Considering that peanut butter's fat is from plants, it isn't unhealthy. You also get more fiber even compared to whole grain flour that I use but the expensive is quite a bit more.

In this photo you can see the cocoa powder I normally use vs this peanut flour in the chocolate variety. Note that the peanut is slightly less brown than the cocoa.

cocoa powder vs chocolate peanut powder

Milk Chocolate Peanut Powder Cookies
By TammyJo Eckhart, PhD

Ingredients: *marks ingredients I was sent to review
 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 C firmly packed light brown sugar
2/3 C *Splenda Sugar Blend
1 2/3 C *Simple Truth Organic Peanut Powder, Chocolate variety
2 1/3 C King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C egg substitute
2 sticks Kroger Salted Light Butter melted
11.5 oz Toll House Milk Chocolate Chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F and lay parchment paper over a baking sheet.

 2. Mix together dry ingredients -- salt, baking soda, brown sugar, Splenda, peanut powder, and flour.


3. Add in vanilla, egg substitute, and melted butter.

4. Blend thoroughly. Dough will be slightly sticky.


5. Fold in the milk chocolate chips.

6. Using a small cookie scoop, place 12-15 mounds of the dough on the parchment paper covered cookie sheet.

7. Place sheet into oven and bake for 10 minutes.

8. Take sheet out of oven then let the sheet and the cookies slip off of the sheet to the top of a table so they can cool.

9. Repeat steps 6-8 until all the cookies are baked. I made 50 cookies with this recipe. If you want you can press out the cookies a bit to make them flatter. Here is a comparison of mounds vs flattened.


Calories per cookie: 90 (If you used the exact ingredients I did)

Dietary Fiber per cookie: 1.3 grams (If you used the exact ingredients I did) 54% of the fiber comes from the peanut powder.

What do you think?

Comments

Jack said…
I am addicted to chocolates in all forms. I firmly believe that this blog is made for me and not a single day is gone when i do not read this blog. These cookies look delicious and i am already making these.
That's such a sweet comment. Thank you!